Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Personal Albums

At the end of all the classes, the children were allowed to pick images that they would like to keep for themselves in an album. We thought of ways, to make the process of actually filling the pictures in the album a fun and creative exercise. The children were told to lay out all their images randomly on the floor and start re-arranging them to create a story which could be real or fictitious. To understand the concept of a storyboard better, we gave them an example of how they could use each picture as a scene in a movie. This activity was successful in most cases, but some of the children were unable to disconnect from the actual picture and think imaginatively or attach a possibly different meaning to it.

Below are the stories (of some children) translated from Marathi, some of them managed, but some were unable to weave a story :

The Treasure by Manav

Once upon a time there was a small pot with gold coins inside it .It was a pot filled with treasure. The pot was buried deep in the ocean guarded by a jumbo fish named Arwana and on the land a dog named Rocky. One unfortunate day 3 thieves steal this treasure and take it to their town. They hide the treasure in the kitchen with all the other pots and pans. One day a boy named Hritik finds this hidden treasure in his friends house he steals it from him. He sells the gold coins and with that money he buys his father a silver belt buckle, his mother a diamond necklace and earrings a chandelier for his house. He tells his parents about the treasure and they are very happy. He then buys a bike and a car, he also invites his best friend over for a lavish meal .He then sets out into the city where he sells ganpati statues and parrots. He becomes a rich man and stays happily ever after.

My Birthday by Mrunal

My birthday is on the 14th September. On this day, I phoned my aunt and brother and invited them over. My friends, my sister Saloni and Apeksha came too. I was excited because all of them were in new clothes! (Unlike Anushka didi from nepean sea road)
I took lots of pictures of everyone. It was a great family event all thanks to me
We did a pooja for my birthday and my aunt put tikka on my forehead. Feeling a little stylish, I put on my sunglasses and everyone said I looked like a true star.
We cut a heart shaped cake. I turned twelve this year.
Everyone was posing in their new clothes while I took pictures of them.
All in all, I had a great day!

14th September by Avikranth

In the morning, I went to see a friends Ganpati. I really like it. Melody is my favourite chocolate so I needed to have one to get me going. Its like my coffee!
Later on, I was watching my friends play cricket. My close friends are Mohan, Aniket and Rohan. They're much older than me and teach me several new things.
In the evening, while a group of people were celebrating Govinda, I spent some time with my parents at home.
I managed to take pictures of clothes, shoes, a chocolate and even a scooter.
My slippers are blue in colour - I use them to tread over the seven seas.
At night, I was watching TV and saw Mugdha. Actually, I think Anushka didi looks like her. Maybe, they... are... one.

Dostana by Rushikesh

Bhimrao Ambedkar is someone im very fond of. I love books written by him as well as his thoughts and philisophies.
I like Shivaji Mahraj because of his fighting techniques. He had a very sharp mind.
I am very fond of Ganpati. I love this particular one most because of the decorations..
I like Lord Shiva and the way he stand on the snake.
We went to play in this park on Chowpatty. We had lots of fun there.
The skyline of Bombay amazes me. I love to watch the tall and different buildings.
On Chowpatty beach, this is a tall structure made of bamboos that has flood lights . I have taken this picture because it gives us light and we all can work.
There are stones on Chowpatty beach that look very beautiful after the waves have smoothened their surfaces.
This symbol I have drawn on the sand.. It has all the characters of my name in it.
My uncle Chandramani is a photographer and told me this picture has a steel effect.
I love my parents wedding picture.
My aunt and uncle are with me in this picture. They take lots of care of me.
I have taken a picture of me and my dad so I can remember him and immortalise our relationship via this.
I won the YUVA competition for dance and this is a picture of the trophy.
I love eating fruits as they are healthy.
This is me in the Basti.
I went to see a Ganpati far away and this is a picture of me in the train.
Smitesh is my younger brother.
I love my mother Chitra.
I hate people who drink alcohol.
And I have taken this picture to tell people not to drink because its bad for health.
I love my sister and her new born baby. I love to play with him.
When I grow up I want to ride bikes. And this is a pic of the best bike in my colony.
I love cricket and want to meet Sachin Tendulkar one day.
I love Anushka didi and her class. So I took a picture to remember her.
These are my friends in the Basti.
I love to paint. 

Meri Manzil by Sayali

Life can be like an empty Coke bottle unless you fill it with...

I love where I live because everyone lives together and even though people don't really think so, there are many trees around.  You just have to take a minute out of your busy day and just look around you.
My kitchen is one of my favourite places.  I like how my mum has planned it.  She cooks really good food for all of us.  I love my mum and think she looks beautiful when she wears her orang and white polka dotted sari.
Grandparents are dear to everyone.  Mine are dearer to me than my parents.  I am fortunate to have them in my life.  What they teach me about life and love helps me and always will.
Colourful clothes and designs really make me happy, as do my love birds.  I have not named them and refer to them as”Love Birds”.
Kunjal is my bestfriend.  She is older than me and is also very pretty.  I look up to her in many ways.
My brother Sandeep has a son named Himank.  I love his cheeks and chinky eyes.  On the other hand there is Swaraj.  He was born on the 15th of August – Independence Day and is thus, named Swaraj, which means freedom.  I love him and spoil him very much as his dad, my other brother, Pradeep loves and spoils me.
I think funky designs and prints on T-shirts are really cool.  My favourite T-shirt has a Laurel and Hardy print on it.  That along with Hide and Seek chocolates, well actually chocolate of all kinds always make my day.
This picture of the boy moves me and the quote is my all time favourite.  As it captures the essence of what a poor child feels.  I have always been taught and believe that education is the key to a better life.  That is why I think studying and education is very important.  ThoughI don't really enjoy it so much but it is something that I have to do.
My grandfather collects books.  He has made a small library at home from which he teaches us and I hope to do the same for my kids.
One of my aspirations is to learn how to play the 'shunk'.  The sound that is emitted is beautiful and soothing.  As snails have the same shape, I really like them as well.
The message I want to give to the world – Save Trees.
Dancing is my favourite thing in the world.  I love Shaimak's and my friends Santosh and Suraj.  Akhit is my favourite friend from Yuva classes.  I love speding time with all my friends from the community and Shaimak's as well.
       
I only wish that my road leads me to the road to success and keeps my bottle full of life!

My life by Asmita


My story begins with me.  I really like Ganapati and Gautam Buddha.  I have a lot of faith in them as they always answer my prayers.
Rakhsha bandhan is a very big event in my house.  I really enjoy it as we eat a lot of meethai and chocolates.  We cook a special meal and sheera and then all of us play games.
My sister's name is Amruta and ahe is ten years old.  When she grows up she wants to be a teacher.  I think she takes it too seriously at times because she tries to “help” me with my studies all the time.  We're usually up to some mischief and have a lot of fun.
My aunt, Rutika is very pretty and was all dressed up.  I wanted to capture the moment.
I love spending time with my neighbours and friends.  Babies are the most delightful.  I love babies and hope to have many of them when I grow up.  Not just babies though, I love puppies and for that matter babies of all creatures.
I love the ocean and Chowpatty Beach is one of my favourite placesto hang out.  I go there sometimes with my friend Alisha. 
I like traditional things like mehendi as well as modern things like my pink Barbie bag.  In fact pink is my favourite colour. My community believes in celebrating everyone's achievements.  I hope to fill an entire cabinet with trophies that I have won.

My brother Yash, and I by Vinita

My cousin brother Yash, was born on the 31st of May, 2010. It was the happiest moment of my life, I never knew I could grow to love someone so much, but in many ways, even though we are not real siblings, we have alot of things in similar. We both adore anything colourful, especially the colour yellow.
I love watching Yash's reaction to yellow. His favourite t-shirt is yellow and so is his favourite toy. Everytime he sees these he gets so excited. Its amazing the effect a colour can have on a 4 month old baby. Fortunately, for me, his mother allows me to dress him up in his favourite yellow t-shirt, so I get to share this moment of joy with him. Baby Yash has a little blue hat, which when he wears he looks very cute. As for me, I love yellow sarees, yellow makes me happy, whenever my grandma wear's yellow she looks stunning

My family comprises of my father Bhaskar, my grandmother Sunita, and my brothers Pranesh and Aniket and of course, me. I have a huge extended family of 12 people, but thats another story. My cousin, Diksha and I are also very close. We spend alot of time up on my terrace playing Kho-Kho and gossiping and doing silly things girls our age tend to do.

I believe very strongly in Ganapati Bappa. I believe he has the power to fulfill my every wish, and that's why for 13 days during Ganesh Chaturthi, I pray to him and tend to him. Unfortunately, we don't keep his idol at home, but I still make it a point to go to the community idol and pray, as well as offer him his favourite sweet, Modak, and when its time for us to say good-bye, I make it a point to join the immersion parade.

Dogs are my favourite animals. There is a little puppy near where I live which is adorable and extremely playful. I spend alot of time playing with it, I sometimes wish I could take it to school with me. I love school, its always fun to be at school around all my friends and the hustle bustle. I attend Mahatma Jyotiba Phule school and am in the 7th grade currently. My favourite subject is Marathi. I usually stay back after school is out to play with my friends. We play, dance and chit-chat with each other. My best friend Sanyukta studies with me, she's very very nice and loves flowers.

On my way home from school, I usually stop at the store outside the gate of my compound and buy a packet of Balaji's masala chips. They are very spicy, but I love spice and the cool rush of Center-fresh chewing gum after. Everytime I eat these chips I feel very hot, but happy. Bourbon biscuits too are my favourite.

There is a particular print on one of Yash's t-shirts, which he and I like alot. Its a very attractive picture and colourful like my favourite fan, which looks like a whirl of colours when it moves with the wind.

I am very thankful to Ganapatiji and my family for my life. I am very lucky and only wish that my little cousin brother Yash is fortunate enough to have the life I do.

House Full by Rutik
This is my school uniform, I go to school and I want to go to college. When I become big I will work and help
my mother. I want to learn photography; I will then take pictures of my friends so that 
I never forget them. When my favourite God Ganpaty comes I look forward to seeing 
LalBaugchaRaja. If I get the blessings of God, I believe I can achieve everything.










No comments:

Post a Comment