Monday, September 6, 2010

If I was given a camera...

Before giving the children the camera (this was part of one of the first few classes, but I had wanted the children to keep their books with them, I recently got a chance to take it from them) I had asked them to write a bit about what they would want to click if they were given a camera.

I noticed, after the first round that most of them had only written about nature and figured, that this is what they hope to have around them more so than not. Their community is in the heart of Bombay and there is no form of nature anywhere around them. Also they all study in Marathi Medium SSC schools, and they are pretty much geared to write about nature at anytime because in all their books and school work, that is what they are exposed to, so they just think, that nature is beautiful and there is not much else beyond that.

I sat them down and talked to them about how, if I were to give them a camera, since there was no nature around, they would have to think of other things that they would want to click and that nature isn't the absolute beauty.

Unfortunately, some of the children have already lost their books, and some of them hadn't dont the exercise because they were not comfortable with writing hence I did not force them to write, but we discussed it instead.

Here are some of their write ups with an attempt at translating them into english :

If I Was Given a Camera

No comments:

Post a Comment