Friday, August 27, 2010

Our Community

The kids love to color & draw. I took this opportunity to make them map out their community on paper. I gave them a very simple brief, that they must think of the community as though they were seeing it from a birds point of view. I also got them to understand what a birds eye view means.

To begin with I told them to imagine the map of India and how everything is flat even though it really isnt. Then I went on to explain to them that color was very important as they all needed to decide which color would indicate what on the map.

This was a great exercise as the kids were very enthusiastic about making a map of their own space and they even ran around counting the number of houses per floor just to make sure.

The map is by no means indicative of scale. If anything its just a really fun representation of this community. Thats because I didn't get into the space of measuring things as I didn't really see the need to get into technicalities.

Sahil, who loves to build things actually made a little pop up version of his own building. I didn't ask him to do this, but he just really enjoyed this whole mapping exercise for some reason!







I got them to mark out their own homes on this map.






No comments:

Post a Comment